Originally called “Dance Steps” we opened in 1989 in Southport when I (Janet) qualified as a Ballroom dance teacher with the Allied Dance Association having had an amateur career of over 18 years, and Eric moved his school from Stockport to Southport.
Our Original teachers were
- Eric Lashbrooke (ex World European and British Champion)
- Sharn Alexander
- Dorothy Lee
- Cyril Lee
- Lesley Smith
In 2000 we changed our name to JLC Dance and moved the premises to were Central Dance Studio is now situated in Southport. Then know as the Bullen School of Dance, were we had a very successful school for 14 years.
Many competitions dancers have walked through our doors to be trained by Eric Lashbrooke in the years we were in Southport and we have kept a closed bond with many. Eric was one of the legions of dance being the youngest ever Amateur world Ballroom champion at just 18 years old.
Like wise many will remember Dot and Cyril with there social ballroom classes and dances in Southport. We still have a connection in Southport through Cyril, were he runs a weekly tea dance. ( not bad for 86 years old)
Did you know that Dot and Cyril were formation dancers and captained the Millington’s formation team in the 1960’s
After Eric died and Dorothy, retired I (Janet) opened a branch in Blackpool and in 2013, JLC Dance Ltd Blackpool Premier Ballroom School at Spen House was opened.
It has grown from strength to strength and is now part of the community regularly teaching and dancing at charity and community events and enabling disabled and disadvantages children’s and adults learn to dance.
We have kept links with the competition world through our colleague and mentor Mr Keith Morris who coaches both pupils and teachers as well as running twice yearly workshops for social dancers.
- The World Cabaret Challenge, winner
- North East of England Professional Ballroom and Latin Championships, winner
- Captain of the winning team ( Liverpool) 1994?Come dancing.
- Fellow, Life Member and Examiner UKA
- 2002 he was nominated for the Clasique De Danse Award.
You may also recognised Keith from being one of the dancers on “The Halcyon”
Keeping competition links
Our studio is regularly used for practice by many top professional and amateur competition dancers and we are proud to sponsor Graeme and Dawn with coaching space and have watched them grow in to worthy senior champions
IN 2019 Janet celebrated
- 30 years as a Dance Teacher
- 15 years as a Fellow UKA
- 19 years as school principal of JLC Dance Ltd
- 6 years of principal of JLC Dance Ltd Blackpool.
I could not do it without a great team of teachers and my life partner John
2020 teachers are
- Principal Janet Lee Chapman Fellow and Examiner Dip UKA, Fellow Dip IDTA.
- Theatre Teacher Rosalyn Rincon Associate Dip ISTD / RAD Ballet Dip
- Mentor Keith Morris Fellow and Examiner Dip UKA (World Masters Champion)
Please note that in march 2021 Janet is retiring for class work to concentrate on other aspects of JLC so during 2020 you will increasingly see Rosalyn taking over classes.